[CAUT] Piano truck installation

Wimblees@aol.com Wimblees@aol.com
Mon, 20 Jun 2005 22:24:44 EDT

In a message dated 6/20/2005 3:36:59 PM Central Standard Time,
llafargue@charter.net writes:

I am ordering a piano truck/dolly  system from Pianotek for a Steinway D in a
 University hall here.  I have  never installed one from scratch and not sure
of the smartest and safest  way.  I know I have to take each  leg off to
remove the casters.   Also that the lyre should be off.  I have car/piano
stationary jacks to  hold it up (only have 2) and I have a hydraulic jack.  I also
have a portable engine hoist  that I could lug there from my shop if necessary.
Any experienced voices would be  appreciated.  Thanks in  advance.

Lance

Assemble the truck as per instructions. Do not tighten the arm bolts, so  you
can move them in and put, and leave the plate bolts a little loose, so  you
can turn the arms. Position the truck under the piano, so that each arm is
close to each leg. You want the arm that comes out of the plate at a 90 degree
angle at the back. Use the jack to lift one leg, (preferably one of the front
legs). You can remove the caster with a big screw driver. With the  caster
removed, position the arm under the leg, and put a piece of wood, like a  small
piece of 2x4, under the leg. Lower the jack and let the leg come down on  the
arm rest. The block of wood will prevent the other legs from coming up.  Repeat
this for the other two legs. You do not need to remove the lyre

Good luck

Wim
Willem Blees,  RPT
Piano Technician