[CAUT] Performance facility inventory

Jeff Tanner jtanner@mozart.sc.edu
Wed, 22 Jun 2005 11:16:45 -0400

Hi Barbara,
At the University of South Carolina, the School of Music has only one
200ish seat recital hall.  A mid-sized hall has been proposed, but is
awaiting fund raising (unfortunately, the school of music doesn't hock
pharmaceuticals...).  We have two Steinway D's in the hall.  We are
adjacent to a larger hall (2256 seats), which we have to rent if we
use, so typically only very large ensembles which draw big crowds use
that venue.  That hall has a Steinway D and a 6' or so Bose (I've
personally never seen it).

Our recital overflow is usually done in our choral rehearsal room,
which has a Baldwin SF-10, I can roll another SF-10 from the opera
rehearsal room if two pianos are needed.  Band rehearsal room is also
available for recital overflow.  An old war-worn Steinway D is in
there, but the SF-10s can easily be moved in there.  Both rooms have
full recording capabilities.  We rarely require overflow, but which
room we use is up to instructor's preference and room scheduling
availability.

We have also used other venues on campus for various events, (despite
awful acoustics) and have to either move our pianos there or rent
something.

Jeff Tanner