[CAUT] Performance facility inventory

Porritt, David dporritt@mail.smu.edu
Wed, 22 Jun 2005 13:38:41 -0500

I do find it very interesting how people choose a piano.  Since we now
have a D and a CFIIIS in our larger hall, the choice is often more by
prejudice than anything.  I've theorized that the choice is made by
brand prejudice, then feel, and lastly sound.  It's all just an
interesting glimpse into human nature!

I miss the 2 piano thing we have had in the past.  We had Lisitsa and
Kusnetsof here and they did only 2 piano at that time, but then they
were just students.

 dp

David M. Porritt
dporritt@smu.edu

-----Original Message-----
From: caut-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:caut-bounces@ptg.org] On Behalf Of
Wolfley, Eric (wolfleel)
Sent: Wednesday, June 22, 2005 12:39 PM
To: 'College and University Technicians'
Subject: RE: [CAUT] Performance facility inventory

David,

We have a piano duo (Eugene and Elizabeth Pridonoff) in residence here
and I
think their presence has attracted students of that persuasion. In the
coming school year I believe we will have two official student duos in
residence. Lots of lid removals and messed up hinges. We have a matched
set
of Steinway B's in one of our smaller recital halls as well. I used to
try
to keep contrasting pianos in each hall but found that the more powerful
piano was chosen 90% of the time for solo recitals and even for
accompaniment. So the "chosen" piano would often get played 8-10 hours a
day
for dress rehearsals and recitals and the other would just rest. The
pianos
still have their individual differences but they blend well. Now they
get
used roughly equally. The Bosendorfer (which is a nice piano) spends
almost
all it's time lounging about and resting. I think it was used 6 times in
the
last 9 months.

Eric Wolfley, RPT
Supervising Piano Technician