[CAUT] Performance facility inventory

Barbara Richmond piano57@flash.net
Wed, 22 Jun 2005 13:48:23 -0500

Eric,

That's an interesting point about the contrasting pianos vs. matched pianos,
because initially, I thought that we would want contrasting instruments here
(here being Braden Auditorium at Illinois State University).  Your remark
reminds me of a conversation I had with John Minor at University of Illinois
about the piano use at the Great Hall in the Krannert Center.

All the information has been very helpful.  My position is rather different,
since I'm not the tech for the school of music at Illinois State University,
but instead, the tech for the student center and the just less than 3500
seat auditorium.   Everybody rents from us (including university groups) and
a huge variety of performances take place here.   The current director was
hired to "turn things around" (everything you could imagine was in bad
shape) and I was hired as part of that plan.  It's nice to know that the
pianos are a central issue.

Currently we have one S&S D and one B.  Last week was the first time in a
while that I could have a long talk with the director and I reported that
when the stage manager of an orchestra commented that the "other hall" where
they play, there are two Ds for guest soloists to choose from.   Her (the
director's) ears perked up and I could see the wheels turning.  I told her
what I knew about the concert halls in Central Illinois and said I'd do a
little research.  We're aiming to upgrade, though the acoustics here will
never let us be confused with the Great Hall at University of Illinois
(don't worry John, we're not going to rob any major recording business from
you).

I'd be happy to compile a report, but I don't have the same information from
everyone, since I forgot to ask to include hall size and what type of use
(recital or multipurpose).  Still, I will do what I can when I have time and
if anybody wants to re-submit their information, feel free.

Thanks everyone!  (I'll accept information until I'm done with the report--
it won't be done for a while--I've got a long to-do list.)

Barbara Richmond
piano57@flash.net