[CAUT] More great tips! (thanks)

Mark Cramer Cramer@BrandonU.ca
Wed, 29 Jun 2005 15:19:11 -0500

Thanks for this clear explanation Ed, I certainly appreciate it. Matter of
fact, Scott is sizing some key-pin holes as we speak.

Here's two other great tips I picked up off our list a couple of years ago.
We're also using these today, and they really work: (sorry I don't recall
both contributors offhand)

Cleaning Gunky Rep. Springs and slots:

1.) Make a j-shaped hook from a wire mute-handle, profile and dull the end
to clean spring-slots.
	(Fred S.)

2.) Use a 1/4" wooden dowel atop the repetion levers to support the springs,
and polish them with a felt wheel on a dremel tool.

When you run into gunky slots and springs, nothing I know of works better,
especially the fact the wippens remain on the stack. Thanks guys!

Now one of my own:

We've been happily burnishing rep. surfaces with the radiused edge of a
brass ivory-clamp, ever since Fred shared this tip several years ago.

While in Banff last month, I noticed a brass hammer-iron (a tool I own but
never use) on the bench, about the same time I'm demonstrating burnishing to
a work-study.

Voila! This tool fits a combination handle, making it most comfortable to
hold, and it has a beautifully radiused end. I humbly submit, it may be the
perfect tool for burnishing repetitions.

Check it out!

BTW, notice when burnishing, (similar to sanding a flat surface), the more
you work the surface, the sharper the edges (aris) become. I think it's good
practice to gently round over these edges (both inside and out) after
burnishing the top surface.

best regards, and thanks!
Mark Cramer
Brandon University