[CAUT] string leveling

wimblees@aol.com wimblees@aol.com
Wed, 29 Jun 2005 18:00:27 -0400

I might have discovered another, more efficient way to level strings. Perhaps someone has done this in the past, but I don't think I've ever heard it before.

I use Mother Goose's string level gauge. At the Steinway factory, we were told to set it sideways for the notes next to the struts, since the gauge doesn't fit on this strings the regular way.  Although this methods assures that the strings are all on one plane, it doesn't assure that the strings are straight across.

Today, as I was leveling the strings on a Steinway, I got to thinking how I could make sure those strings are level, and I came up with a way, to not only make sure those strings are level, but can also be used to do all the strings.

To tap strings, I use a key tail brass clamping bar. If any of you know how to attach ivory tails, you'll know what I mean. It's a brass bar, 4" x 1/2" x 3/16", and perfectly straight.

What I did was lay that bar across the strings, behind the dampers, and put it across the note next to the strut. When I played the note, I could tell right away if one of the strings was lower than the other. I did this on all four notes next to struts. I found that I could not only tell if one or two strings was not level, but I found some, where all three strings were not on the same plane as the notes next to it.

I had a little difficulty, because there wasn't enough weight on the brass bar to give me a good reading. So I put just a little pressure on the bar. But it was a little awkward to put pressure on the bar, and pluck the string, while holding down the note. (I did use the sostonuto bar a little later). As I was retuning those notes, I was thinking what I could use to add a little weight, when it hit me: use the dampers as weight.

So here is the tip of the day. To level strings, take a key tail clamp bar, and put it under the back of a group of dampers. Play the note you want to work on, and you'll hear if the strings needs to be leveled. Pluck the strings, and you'll discover which one. Sometimes you'll discover that all three strings have to be raised. (In case you don't want to do that, use the bubble gauge to see if the strings are level, even though the three strings are not on the same plane as the rest of the strings, and leave them alone).

Wim