[CAUT] Aural-&-Electronic

Danny L Tassin tassin@msu.edu
Wed, 02 Mar 2005 09:55:14 -0500

Jim and all,

Touche' !!  Bingo !!  Right-On !!  Etc., etc...

I feel like everyone is "draggin" this thing too far.  I feel like there
should be no  -- VS. --  in the description, but Aural--AND--Electronic.

Doctors, Mechanics, Engineers, Lawyers, Contractors, even Electronic
Technicians, etc., etc., etc. -- YOU name it... In "almost" every practise
of all kinds ( now days ), professionals are using "electronic aids."  And,
WHY  NOT ??  It's God's gift of invention to mankind, so lets use it to
better our performance(s).

I can tell you that here at Michigan State U.,  Bill Schneider, and myself,
tune virtually everything by ear.  Yes, we put in our strip mutes and tune
every piano by ear. There's nearly 200 pianos here. It only makes the piano
sound better.  Because each and every piano ever made is as differently as
the finger-prints on each and every person ever born on this earth.  Each
piano must have it's own special care and attention in tuning because they
are all inherently different just as we all are as people.  That's a given
standard.

However, all people's needs are special, and completely different.  That's
why in today's modern world the "electronic age" has helped more people than
you'll ever know.   I also believe, as you said so yourself, Jim,  that the
ETD's that we own can and has helped more pianos ( especially ones I've
tuned in the past few years of my 20+ years-career ) than I can count.  18
of those years I tuned everything I touched aurally.  The "AID" of the ETD
only sweetened my results in pianos ( as you mentioned in the spinets ) that
I would have problems hearing some of the harmonic beats in the past few
years.  But,  the ETD's can "hear" those frequencies far better than any one
of us alive will ever hear.  It's what they are suppose to do.  That's why
they were designed -- to  "aid" us into becoming better piano tuners.  They
are wonderful for pitch raises, and THEN tune a fine tuning aurally.  ( Yes,
Virginia, it'll have to be tuned twice after the pitch raise IF you want it
to be a "stable" tuning...)

As others said,  I use mind strictly as an "aid" and NOT a crutch.  With all
the generic tunings on these machines marketed today, not one of them will
tune two or more exact models of piano exactly alike.  It won't do that.
Just like a PC.  It can't "think" like a human until you put "human"
thinking into it.

The same with a piano  --  whether a spinet up to a concert 9 foot model.

I think we ( piano technicians of today and tomorrow ) should hold VERY
strong to the principles and practises of tuning our instrument as it's
designed and meant to be tuned  --  aurally.  Any and all new people (i.e:
Associates, apprentices, technician's aids in shops/schools ) trying to
learn or being taught basic tuning techniques to become a piano tuner,
should NEVER use a ETD as a crutch to start.   Here is a case in point.

I have a degree, also, in Engineering and C.A.D. Design.   CAD (Computer
Aided Drafting) is electronics "designed" to help a designer/draftsman to
design and draw on the computer engineering plans for constructions in all
areas of engineering.  In the "good" schools where Drafting is taught FIRST
on a drafting board before the student is ever allowed to touch a computer,
a draftsmen/designer of this caliper will always be the best person who
knows what they are doing on the "drafting board" if ever a need to go to
one and work has occasion to arise.  I know first hand-experience from this
before I ever became a piano technician.

It's just like in piano tuning.  It's one of those arts and Craftsmanship's
that require basic-to-advanced HUMAN skills before one ever touches an
electronic device.   Air Force Jet Pilots still today train in Cessna's 150s
before they are EVER allowed advancement into a Jet Fighter aircraft.

Jim Ellis,  I'm with you, friend.  My co-worker, Bill, will agree with you
as well.   Right, Bill ??   Right Robert ?? ( wherever you are in Ohio...)

Well, back to the "ole grind" and tuning those "daily" studio pianos.  Wim,
all the faculty want their pianos tuned as often as they can get it.  In
fact, that's when they are tuned -- as often as we can get to them.  Think
about it ...

PS:  There is a way to tune a stable piano very stable.  It's like being a
magician:  The hand has to be quicker than the ear ...  We'll talk at K.C.
if you go this summer, Wim.  I'll show you.  My co-worker, Bill, showed me.
It's not a secret.  I'll just have to show you.  Maybe we'll do a class one
year at the Nat'l Conv. if asked.  Associates REALLY need to learn this.
And, maybe those out there tuning who keep wondering, "how do I keep those
unions from slipping ?? "   Magicians will never tell you their tricks. But,
piano technician can't wait to "spill the beans."

Dan Tassin,RPT
Piano Technician
Michigan State Univ.
E.Lansing, MI