[CAUT] Temperature and pitch

Ed Sutton ed440@mindspring.com
Wed, 2 Mar 2005 14:45:16 -0500

I've been working for a couple of years with a teacher who periodically complains of the "top going sharp" on her Mason & Hamlin BB.

Whenever I get there it's back to normal!

There were some serious humidity issues, but a DampChaser system with a bottom cover seemed to solve that.  Then yesterday she called desperate "I've got concerts coming up and it's going sharp again!"

Because of the long thread on this list I finally began to think "temperature."

When I asked she said "I come in to practice early before the heat's on.  That's when it's sharp!"

She never opens the lid, just the flap.  I think the Damp Chaser system keeps the inside warm, but the high treble is exposed enough to catch a chill, which goes away when the heat comes on.

I think I'll ask her to blow warm air from a hair dryer in the treble end next time!

Ed Sutton