[CAUT] :( Greetings from friendly neighborhood upstate NewYorkIgloo

Ed Sutton ed440@mindspring.com
Wed, 2 Mar 2005 20:39:26 -0500

 Don-

 It's just a sheet of thin plastic, like a drop cloth.  It happens to be
just the right size and texture to drape over the lid and front of the
plate, and folds up neatly to fit in your tool kit.  You don't attach it or
stretch it, or anything complicated, just lay it over the front end of the
piano like a blanket or drop cloth.  A blanket would do the trick, but this
is thin, transparent and light, and more flexible than a painter's drop
cloth.

 Ed

NewYorkIgloo

> > Hi Ed,
> >
> > Any chance of a picture of this plastic device?
> >
> > At 02:45 PM 3/2/2005 -0500, you wrote:
> > >Michelle-
> > >
> > >Above all, you don't want the piano's temperature to change while
you're
> > >tuning.
> > >
> > >If the temperature changes _after_ you have tuned, the piano will
(more or
> > >less) self-correct as the plate temperature equalizes.
> > >
> > >But if the temperature is changing while you're tuning, you ain't got a
> > >chance. (Such as opening a cold piano when the heat is just coming on.
> > >
> > >So......
> > >Go to the hardware store and get a "plastic storm window" - a sheet of
> > >flexible plastic shrink wrap (ask at the store if you don't know what
this
> > >is).  Open the lid flap, pull the music desk, and quickly cover the
open
> > >front end with the plastic sheet.  Move and tuck the sheet around to
get
> > >access to the section of pins you need, and reach under to move the
mutes.

> > >Close the lid as soon as you are done!
> > >
> > >Your tuning will be in tune with itself, and after the piano has
adjusted
> > >to whatever temperature change happens, it will be in tune with itself
> > >again, though not dead on to 440Hz.
> > >
> > >(Credit for this goes to Bill Clayton RPT, who tunes lots of church
pianos.)

> > >Ed Sutton

York
> > >Igloo