[CAUT] muting center string

Danny L Tassin tassin@msu.edu
Thu, 03 Mar 2005 10:09:04 -0500

Edward de Foote,

How long does it take you to tune a piano using this method ??
And, aren't you tuning just "concert grands" on a stage this way for a
concert/recital ?  Not everything, everyday this way, huh ??

Surely, you don't tune all your studios, classrooms, and private customer's
pianos this way, do you ??   The whole piano ... ??   jus wondering.

You should not confuse those who don't know how to tune (rock solid) aurally
first, even before understanding that an ETD is an aid, not a crutch.

This is how I've been tuning the top octave & 1/2 for several years, now,
when using a SAT III on a number of console pianos.  Maybe the last octave
on mid - large grands (if I have the time).  I can (and do) aurally tune
first, then "check it" with the machine "if" I hear problems.

I love the temperment you taught us at a chapter meeting one year.  I still
pull it out and use it at times on a number of the studio Steinway grands I
tune here (often).  Might be something good to share, if you so desire.
Thanks for all your help (past and present ... and future. )

PS:  what's a  " culpa " ??

Thanks, Ed.
My best to Steve Kelly, James, Jay, Charles, David, and ALL the other great
guys (Ya'll are) in the Nashville Chapter.

Dan Tassin, RPT
Piano Technician
Michigan State Univ.
E. Lansing, MI