ETD Jumpiness (was Re: [CAUT] Sacrifice (was tuners- technology))

Don pianotuna@yahoo.com
Thu, 03 Mar 2005 11:12:54

Hi Avery,

There is a smoothing button on Reyburn Cyber Tuner. I personally turn this
*off*, whenever I can. The nature of the RCT does not allow it's display to
show two different pitches at once--unlike the SAT technology. One of my
pet peeves with RCT is that in pitch correction mode one can *not* turn off
the smoothing feature. One can also not select hertz rather than cents in
pitch correction mode. Both of these were originally options but Dean chose
to defeat them. In tune mode and temperament mode they are available.

At 09:59 AM 3/3/2005 -0600, you wrote:
>  List,
>
>     Really “never?” There can certainly be problems interpreting the SAT’s
>display, and when a string produces a “jumpy” display, yes, it can be a
>problem tuning a really clean unison using the display alone. According to
>Jim Coleman, the “jumpiness” is generally a result of a feature of SAT: the
>ability to hear and display two pitches of a “falsely beating” string
>simultaneously.
>    I find that the RCT (which I currently use) seems not to have this
>problem, at least to the same degree. Sometimes I do need to move the mike
>closer, but the display isn’t usually ambiguous. At any rate, I find that
>it is easier to interpret, using all three visual feedback elements (spin,
>growing, blushing).
>
> & Tunelab have any of this
>"" problem. I know my SAT III does!
>
> Avery
>
> Regards,
> Fred Sturm
> University of New Mexico
>  No virus found in this incoming message. Checked by AVG Anti-Virus.

mailto:pianotuna@yahoo.com	http://us.geocities.com/drpt1948/

3004 Grant Rd. REGINA, SK, S4S 5G7
306-352-3620 or 1-888-29t-uner