ETD Jumpiness (was Re: [CAUT] Sacrifice (was tuners- technology))

Otto Keyes okeyes@uidaho.edu
Thu, 03 Mar 2005 11:02:58 -0800

With Tunelab a false beat will show up on the spectrum display as =
another distinct peak (pitch) which will move in parallel w/the =
authentic one as the tension is changed.  Extreme false beats can cause =
a lot of "noise" on the display, but the combination of phase & spectrum =
display with the new features which help you zero in on the pitch make =
it pretty precise.  As with any ETD, aural tuning skills are essential =
for efficient use.  Aurally, the false beat will remain at a constant =
speed, while the beat from the true pitch will vary in speed as the =
string is tuned -- that's how you determine which one is correct.  If I =
encounter a string with a strong false beat, I will often move the mute =
to find a cleaner string in the unison, set the pitch & then tune =
aurally to that.  (I nearly always tune my unisons aurally)  If =
necessary, I will tune all three strings with TL & then check the unison =
& octave aurally, bearing in mind the sound of the false beat(s) of the =
individual string(s).  If noise in the unison matches the noise in the =
false string & the octave is acceptable, I know I've done the best I can =
with that unison & move on.

What I find interesting with any ETD that I've tried, is that checking =
individual strings of a clean, at-pitch unison with the ETD will give a =
clean reading at the proper pitch.  However, checking the open unison, =
the ETD will sometimes indicate that it is slightly sharp or flat.  Has =
anyone else observed this?  This again points out the need for good =
aural skills --- but I sure like the TLPocket!

By the way, one of the nicest features of TL is the spectrum display =
which allows easy, un-muted pitch-raising.  Robert has just come out =
with an up-grade as well, which expands the capabilities considerably & =
makes some functions significantly easier to use.  Powerful pocket =
product!

Otto
  ----- Original Message -----=20