[CAUT] Sacrifice (was tuners- technology)

Don pianotuna@yahoo.com
Thu, 03 Mar 2005 20:42:33

Hi Fred,

Could you please let us know what notes you chose to measure? I did confirm
Coleman's measurement's on one small upright at A5. My methodology was to
take ten measurements, toss out the high and low readings and averaget the
other 8 readings. I did this at several different partials. It took me over
an hour for this one note. I waited at least ten seconds between playing
the string so that any lingering vibrations would be dampped out.

I have repeated this on other notes without taking nearly as much time did
find that sometimes the results would be a sharp unison as well. It
appeared to me to be related partly to where the note was in the piano
(i.e. A3 would always, for example, be a flat unison, where as F4 would be
a "sharp" unison)

I would have loved to use a disclavier to excite the string to remove one
variable from the experiment.

The coupled motion of unisons does fool us so often. I believe the original
data suggested that a difference of 1 hertz would "draw" to the same
frequency with a three string unison.

mailto:pianotuna@yahoo.com	http://us.geocities.com/drpt1948/

3004 Grant Rd. REGINA, SK, S4S 5G7
306-352-3620 or 1-888-29t-uner