[CAUT] William Wolfram

Timothy Coates tcoates1@sio.midco.net
Mon, 7 Mar 2005 19:22:39 -0600

Wim,

I worked with Mr. Wolfram last September.  He isn't extremely young. =20
Very tall <g>.  He is well seasoned as a performer.  He had a string of=20=

bad pianos before he came to our concert hall.  I found him to be=20
appreciative and actually fun.  He had the choice between two pianos. =20=

The piano he chose is very powerful, a little on the bright side (but=20
not brash), well balanced, with a very responsive action.  I could go=20
into detail as to the specifics about the action, but how many piano=20
technicians does it take to screw in a light bulb?  Mr. Wolfram raved=20
about the piano to me, my technical director, and the symphony=20
executive director.

If you are unsure about direction, perhaps it is time to have an=20
outside "expert"  piano technician who is non threatening to you=20
evaluate the piano.  Or did you do that once?  I can't remember if it=20
was you who posted about something like that before.

Tim Coates
University of Sioux Falls
University of South Dakota

On Mar 7, 2005, at 5:21 PM, Wimblees@aol.com wrote:

> The above named pianist played the Beethoven C minor on the new=20
> Steinway, (the one I've been telling you about), with the Alabama=20
> Symphony in our concert hall several weeks ago. Unfortunately, after=20=

> the concert, Mr. Wolfram supposedly made the comment "I will never=20
> come to Tuscaloosa again if I have to play on this instrument". What=20=

> didn't help is that our local paper's critic heard about the comment,=20=

> and trashed the instrument in the paper.
>  =A0
> Although I don't think the piano is as bad as it is being made out to=20=

> be,=A0I am taking a lot of heat from the some of the faculty =
members.=A0I=20
> reminded them that=A05 previous concert artists didn't say anything=20
> about the piano. In fact, two of them had their choice between our two=20=

> grands, and chose the new one.
> =A0
> My question to you guys is this. Have any of you had any experience=20
> dealing with Mr. Wolfram? I don't know the man, but have heard he is=20=

> young and inexperienced. I've heard, from you guys, that the=20
> better=A0players know how to play on any piano,=A0but the=A0less =
experienced=20
> are more=A0critical.
> =A0
> Wim