[CAUT] Re. More re. Unison Tuning

Don pianotuna@yahoo.com
Tue, 08 Mar 2005 14:13:19

Hi Jim,

I've always done my unisons aurally. The twenty minutes was a saving in
time over strip muting the entire instrument.

If I'm doing a pitch correction I rely on the ETD to compensate for
anticipated pitch drop.

If I'm doing an aural tuning (2 cents or less pitch correction on *any*
note on the instrument) I still do unisons as you go while setting the
temperament and of course, for the rest of the tuning as well. I do tune to
the open unison of the lower note when expanding out past the temperament
in this situation.

Jim's single string to single string approach means he misses an
opportunity to hear how the lower note is doing "unison wise", after it has
had time to "rest" a bit.

I've toyed with modifying the idea that Michael Gamble from the UK uses for
pitch correction wondering about how tuning might be if we "extended" each
note right from "square one" (i.e. tune a4, a3, a5, a2, a6, a1, a7, a0)
then proceed to the next note in the temperament. (f3,f4,f2,f5,f1,f6,f7)
All with "unisons as you go". It should slow me down I think!!!

At 02:22 PM 3/8/2005 -0500, you wrote:
>Those of you who say you tune unisons as you go didn't say whether you were
>doing aural or ETD tunings.  I was talking about aural tunings.  If I were
>doing ETD tunings, I would do it differently.  Don Rose says tuning unisons
>as he goes saves him about 20 minutes per tuning over strip muting.  That
>could not possibly save me 20 minutes per tuning because that's about the
>maximum time I usually spend in the middle of the piano in the first place,
>and I do tune unisons as I go in the bass and treble.  The specific routine
>I follow depends upon what the condition of the piano is before I start.
>
>What I do not do is tune treble octaves by tuning the upper note to a
>three-string open-unison of the lower note.  That will produce accumulating
>error every time.  You can count on it.  I tune single string to single
>string.
>Sincerely, Jim Ellis

mailto:pianotuna@yahoo.com	http://us.geocities.com/drpt1948/

3004 Grant Rd. REGINA, SK, S4S 5G7