[CAUT] M&H pressure lube

Danny L Tassin tassin@msu.edu
Wed, 09 Mar 2005 13:09:11 -0500

Hi, Avery,

With the hammer pointing "out" toward the round end of the piano, I
continuiously "hold" the hammer in my hand while at the same time I'm either
lightly pulling on or pushing away (aka: tapping) with the palm of my hand.
I really never let my hand leave the feel (touch) of the hammer handle go
away from that control.   I know this may sound silly, but it's  "all in the
wrist action," accually.  I allow my hand to "flop" (if you will) to the
extent of my "tapping", either away from me or toward me.   I keep full
control of the hammer "in my hand" while making the tapping, (or, jerking,
some may call it), motion to acheive the result of "literally" allowing the
full length of the string to "move" at the exact instant I'm pounding a test
blow into the key/hammer (going into the string).

I'm sure there are as many different "hammer techniques" out there as there
are different piano technicians.   But, when is comes to stability; when it
comes to "setting the string" to where you want it and it not move, this is
the way to do it.

Hope this helps.

Dan Tassin, RPT

>>> llafargue@charter.net