[CAUT] Steinway replacement keyset?

Bob Hohf rhohf@centurytel.net
Wed, 9 Mar 2005 15:08:06 -0600

Ken Sloane wrote this up in the Journal (before my time).  If I remember
correctly, he wanted to have both actions functional in the same piano.  I
think a lot of the difficulties he had involved making the two keyboards of
different widths both work.

Duplicating the original also duplicates the original errors. As Eric says,
there are a lot of steps that need to be carefully planned out. But starting
from scratch gives you the opportunity to correct all manner of elevation
and alignment problems.

Bob Hohf, RPT
Editor, Piano Technicians Journal

-----Original Message-----
From: caut-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:caut-bounces@ptg.org]On Behalf Of
Porritt, David
Sent: Wednesday, March 09, 2005 1:54 PM
To: jminor@uiuc.edu; College and University Technicians
Subject: RE: [CAUT] Steinway replacement keyset?

I know that the newer key frames and keys are wider than they were in
1950.  When Ken Sloan made the second action for a piano at Oberlin the
new one was wider and they had to do some serious modifications.  The
current Steinways are 48.375" from A0 - C8 where your "L" is probably
48".  In that situation, I'd probably get Pianotek or Roseland to do the
work and duplicate what was there.

dp

David M. Porritt
dporritt@smu.edu