[CAUT] Re. More re. Unison Tuning

David Ilvedson ilvey@sbcglobal.net
Sat, 12 Mar 2005 12:09:04 -0800

Jim,

>What I do not do is tune treble octaves by tuning the upper note to a
>three-string open-unison of the lower note.  That will produce accumulating
>error every time.  You can count on it.  I tune single string to single
>string.

I tune with a SAT III, unisons as I proceed and check aurally as I'm going.   I don't tune from the lower note but check aurally from it.    I'm skeptical of the accumulating error when a skilled tuner is doing the tuning.

>Whether tuning unisios as you go produces more stable tunings, per se, is
>open to debate.  In my opinion, it depends upon several factors, what the
>conditions are, and how you follow through in finishing up.

In effect, substantial tension change will require 2 passes no matter how you tune.

>Having said that, I will say this:  If the piano is very far off pitch, and
>if you are doing an aural tuning, you are apt to end up with more
>accumulating error if you tune unisons as you go than if you don't,
>especially if you are tuning single strings to three-string open unisons.

I don't believe this is true in the hands of a skilled tuner.
Our friend, David Anderson, tunes unisons as he goes and tunes intervals from
his unisons and his tunings make grown men cry...or is it grown women?

David I.