[CAUT] Attention ratio gurus

Don pianotuna@yahoo.com
Sun, 13 Mar 2005 23:35:23

Hi Wim,

You are hearing a 12:1 (a4 at a4); and possibly a 24:2 (a4 at a5); a 36:3
(a4 at e6). Try ghosting to see if any of those match your 6 beats (you
would need a 2nd piano to "ghost" the 12:1.

If the piano will only accept a 6:3 octave from d1 to d2 then d1 to a4
would cause a beat at the 12:1 level, because d1 is too sharp. If the piano
will accept a 14:7 octave from d1 to d2 then d1 again will beat against a4,
because d2 is too flat. The only time there would be zero beats is if d1 to
d2 is a perfect 12:6 octave--and all the octaves above it work as perfect
whole multiples (and the only partial that would be beat free would be 12.
24:2 would still beat)

i.e.

If

d1 to d2 = 12:6
d2 to d3 =  6:3
d3 to d4 =  4:2

Then

d1 to a4 = zero beating at the 12:1

This is unlikely to happen in any real life piano, so almost always there
will be a beat between d1 and a4.

>  But why does it beat 6 or 7 bps? Which coincidental partials are we
>hearing?   Wim  No virus found in this incoming message. Checked by AVG
>Anti-Virus. Version: 7.0.308 / Virus Database: 266.7.2 - Release Date:
>3/11/2005

mailto:pianotuna@yahoo.com	http://us.geocities.com/drpt1948/

3004 Grant Rd. REGINA, SK, S4S 5G7
306-352-3620 or 1-888-29t-uner