[CAUT] Re: Pin block strangeness

Ed Sutton ed440@mindspring.com
Mon, 14 Mar 2005 14:55:47 -0500

I've floor tuned about 24 new pianos this year, my first show room experience since about 1992 or '93.

My impression is very positive; the quality seems much better than 12 years ago.

For example, current Chinese pianos are much easier to work with than, say, a Kimball "La Petite" or
those wretched mini-grands Baldwin was making in the early 90's.

And speaking of Baldwin, I can hardly believe my words.... they are much better than the 1990's production.  It looks like Gibson is really trying to make a real piano company out of Baldwin.

Mason & Hamlin is a delight, and Petrof is very good, really getting where they should have been.

I think we should try to be less curmudgeonly about new pianos!  Even Chinese pianos.

Optimistically (but with flame suit nearby).

Ed Sutton