[CAUT] Re: Unison Tuning - Final

Gary Mushlin garym@PIANOSERVICE.BIZ
Tue, 15 Mar 2005 09:16:05 -0600

Jim (Ellis),

I tried your method of individually tuning the side strings to the
middle string, and found it to be very helpful. Of particular help was
your comment about coupling and locking of frequency, something I
hadn't heard before. I've wondered why the third string could be
considerably off and the unison still sounded OK, and thought the
problem was due to some other problem with my tuning. This method has
been particularly helpful in the higher treble area.

My original hesitation concerning this method was:
1. I was taught, and heard from many tuners, that tuning the third
string to the other two was the best way;
2. Less usage of mutes was better (this method requires an extra muting
move) for speed.

What I found was by using your method, the unisons sound just fine.
Also, though I lost about a minute with the extra muting, I could tune
the unisons faster and with less chance of the third string being too
far off. Hopefully, this will mean better unisons for a longer period
of time after the tuning.

Hopefully, I'd like to go back to tuning the third string to the other
two, but for now I will use your method until I can solve the third
string problem.

I consider this for me the "Tuning Tip of the Year." Now I won't feel
so badly about missing the national convention this year, after 20
straight (they changed the dates this year, which created a conflict).

Sincerely,
Gary Mushlin, MME, RPT