[CAUT] excessive pedaling?

Wimblees@aol.com Wimblees@aol.com
Thu, 17 Mar 2005 10:56:54 EST

Our piano prof uses the soft/shift pedal constantly. As he put it, "we  never
use 1/2 or 1/4 or so by design - it is used to the depth at which it  is
necessary in the music, and is a matter of taste and using one's ear."

I watched him play a CPE Bach piece, and he "rode the clutch", so to speak.
I don't think played one note without some soft pedaling. I can understand
what he is saying, but I have never seen anyone use the soft pedal like he does.
 To me it almost seems like he has developed a habit. I don't hear the subtle
 difference he claims the soft pedaling is supposed to create.

As a result I need to voice every hair on the felt on every hammer to make
sure all of them sound exactly the same at the infinitesimal shift  positions.

My question is, has he gotten in a bad habit or is this "standard
procedure"? I realize there is not much I can do about it, other than work  like a devil
to get it right. But for my own curiosity, is he asking for  the moon on this?

Wim
Willem Blees,  RPT
Piano Tuner/Technician
School of Music