[CAUT] excessive pedaling?

Jeff Tanner jtanner@mozart.sc.edu
Thu, 17 Mar 2005 15:31:33 -0500

On Thursday, March 17, 2005, at 10:56 AM, Wimblees@aol.com wrote:

> My question is, has he gotten in a bad habit or is this "standard=20
> procedure"?=A0I realize there is not much I can do about it, other =
than=20
> work like a devil to get it right. But for my own curiosity,=A0is he=20=

> asking for the moon on this?
> =A0
> Wim

Hey Wim,
It is standard procedure.  If pianists are not using the full range of=20=

the una chorda, they are not using the full potential of the instrument.

That said, knowing what I know about institutional work, depending on=20
your workload, the venue schedule (amount of time you have to spend=20
with the instrument), the countless hours of use (wear) the instrument=20=

receives, IMHO, he may be asking for, well, at least part of the moon.

It is one thing to ask much of an instrument which spends most of its=20
week being preserved in a closet of a venue with a fairly flexible=20
schedule.  But in many of our situations, often our concert=20
instruments, or at least the rooms they occupy, are as busy as the=20
pianos in the practice rooms.

I think, given the overworked conditions of most of our positions, it=20
is impossible to provide every little hair of potential for every=20
instrument, all the time.  Not to say we should not give it an effort,=20=

but there just aren't enough hours available.  But also for a faculty=20
member to not be considerate of all the factors which influence your=20
job is, well, inconsiderate.

Just yesterday, I was asked to address a problem with the sostenuto on=20=

our second performance piano here which is used on maybe 5 occasions a=20=

year. It is stored in our recital hall, which is booked from daybreak=20
to midnight, daily, and a professor simply took my reservation time=20
which I had set aside for tuning the OTHER piano yesterday.  I was=20
asked this morning why the problem wasn't addressed yet.

Yes, sometimes they ask more than we have time to do.  But we do need=20
to have the tools in our pocket when they're needed.

Jeff Tanner, RPT
School Of Music
University of South Carolina=

A non-text attachment was scrubbed...