[CAUT] Una Corda

James Ellis claviers@nxs.net
Sat, 19 Mar 2005 20:50:12 -0500

This una corda pedaling thing has been an interesting discussion.  Now I'll
add my two cents worth.  I have seen and heard the una corda properly used
many times by top-rate pianists, but on one occasion I saw and heard it
abused by a not-so-top-rate pianist.  He held the una corda down and beat
the stuffings out of the piano for most of the "concert".  He knocked some
unisons out, and I'm surprised he didn't break a string or two.  The piano
had to be re-voiced after that.

The una corda does indeed change the timbre of the note in ways that touch
alone simply cannot do.  It also changes the decay characteristics of the
note - nor is that change the same for all paitials.  It's quite subtle.

Jim Ellis