[CAUT] excessive pedaling?

Wimblees@aol.com Wimblees@aol.com
Sat, 19 Mar 2005 22:33:29 EST

I have another question regarding the pedaling. As I said on one of my
posts, I really don't hear any difference when the piano player squeezes the  pedal
just a hair, or goes to one of about four different position, other than
fully depressed. On a properly voiced hammer, there isn't supposed to be  any
harsh sounds. But what I am hearing is all the same sound, until the string  hits
only 2 strings. Shouldn't the piano player also be trying to play a little
different when using the una corde? I mean, it doesn't seem to do much good to
press the pedal, while still playing at the same volume. Isn't that
defeating the purpose, a little? That's like stepping on the brake while
accelerating.

Wim