[CAUT] D complimented

Barbara Richmond piano57@flash.net
Mon, 21 Mar 2005 14:36:57 -0600

Roger,

Thanks for the suggestions, but I don't quite understand the business of =
the Dag screws.  Can you explain that in more detail?=20

Thanks,

Barbara Richmond
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Roger Jolly=20
  To: College and University Technicians=20
  Sent: Sunday, March 20, 2005 8:45 PM
  Subject: Re: [CAUT] D complimented

  Hi Wim,
                 I'm happy every thing worked out for you. =3DD>

  Some suggestions that may be helpful to you.

  I have added Dag screws to the D's I look after. It makes voicing a =
lot easier I can quickly push the action into position, and not have to =
worry about cheek blocks and the sustenuto rod giving problems. After =
voicing, I back the screws inwards a quarter of a turn.

  I have a couple of pieces of laminated card, so I can depress the =
pedal, and slip it at the bass end of the action.  This will give an =
accurate half pedal position, makes it easy to get consistent voicing in =
this position.  The thickness of the card is half the thickness of the =
Agraffe holes.

  To get good contrast at half pedal, using the string marks on the =
hammer for a guide.  Chop stick needling tool, (single needle)  Insert =
needle 1-1.5mm directly into crown, vertical to molding, and dead centre =
of string marks.   I find it faster to reverse the action into the =
action cavity.  It is also more accurate, than leaning over a larger =
concert grand action.

  Check half peddle voicing with card inserted at bass end.  Chalk mark =
the keys that require corrective action. I like to run Chromatic scales =
at both pp and ff.  Checking for evenness.=20

  Regards Roger