[CAUT] excessive pedaling?

Chris Solliday solliday@ptd.net
Mon, 21 Mar 2005 16:30:33 -0500

Re: [CAUT] excessive pedaling?The trouble with being unaware is that one =
is unaware of being unaware. Chris Solliday
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Fred Sturm=20
  To: College and University Technicians=20
  Sent: Friday, March 18, 2005 7:28 PM
  Subject: Re: [CAUT] excessive pedaling?

  On 3/18/05 11:21 AM, "Jeff Olson" <jlolson@cal.net> wrote:

    Exactly.  It seems that most if not all the list members seem to =
view heavy use of the "dua" corda pedal as a priori justified, =
apparently because some pianists do that (again, I haven't observed =
concert or highly skilled pianists doing what Wim described), or because =
it allegedly allows an added range of timbre (presumably one that =
couldn't be duplicated by mere expressive playing).
    =20
    I'd like to propose that apparently radical notion that if this =
pedal disappeared tomorrow, expressiveness in piano performance would =
not only not decline, it would, if anything, improve.  You have, =
basically, an infinite dynamic range from applying different degrees of =
force to a key alone, without what is, essentially, a special-effect =
pedal.  Yes, some pianists may use it, but that doesn't demonstrate its =
utility; it may simply confirm that people will use a function that's =
available, especially if it can serve as a crutch.
    =20

  Hi Jeff,
      I used to share that view, as an aspiring pianist. And it is =
probably true that there are many pianists who "use it as a crutch" =
because they haven't developed the finger control necessary to produce =
fine gradations of tone.
      But my initial prejudice against use of una corda was based on my =
own experience, which did not include playing on pianos that had been =
prepared to what I now consider to be standard concert readiness. IOW, =
they weren't una corda voiced. Most of the time, a full shift would put =
the two strings in hammer grooves. Or on the edge of hammer grooves =
(even worse).=20
      Artistic use of a well voiced una corda can be a revelation. It is =
definitely a part of my repertoire as a pianist today. I can play quite =
well without one, but I sure wouldn't do so if I had a choice.
  Regards,
  Fred Sturm
  University of New Mexico=20