[CAUT] excessive pedaling?

Wimblees@aol.com Wimblees@aol.com
Tue, 22 Mar 2005 09:55:33 EST

In a message dated 3/21/05 5:35:50 P.M. Central Standard Time,
solliday@ptd.net writes:

not necessarily Wim, if one is only trying to change the TIMBRE and not  the
VOLUME. And Jim Ellis is quite correct another consideration of the  pianist
is decay rate. But so much of this happens intuitively at light speed  that it
is not done consciously. It is expression itself. Try it  yourself. It's the
only way you can really understand this, observation is  almost useless. Chris
Solliday

Chris

I am not a piano player, so I can't try it, to hear a difference.  But from
what you're saying, "It's the only way you can really understand  this,
observation is almost useless", makes it appear that pedaling is more for  the
benefit of the player than it is for the listener.

Wim