[CAUT] excessive pedaling?

David Ilvedson ilvey@sbcglobal.net
Wed, 23 Mar 2005 19:24:29 -0800

Excellent post...

David I.

Original message
From: Fred Sturm
To: College and University Technicians
Subject: Re: [CAUT] excessive pedaling?

On 3/21/05 2:30 PM, "Chris Solliday" <solliday@ptd.net> wrote:

The trouble with being unaware is that one is unaware of being=
 unaware. Chris Solliday

    Actually, other than making a triple negative and offering=
 opportunities for a few wisecracks, I think that Chris, in his=
 typical cryptic way, was making a good point. He was commenting=
 on my post, where I said that as a young pianist I didn=92t think=
 much of the una corda pedal because I had never played a piano=
 that had been well-regulated and voiced (specifically with=
 respect to una corda). So I was unaware of the possibilities,=
 and =93unaware that I was unaware.=94 Hence I had a prejudice that=
 was unwarranted, and was missing a very important skill.
    Which brings me to the reason I am bothering to parse Chris=92=
 prose: As caut=92s we have a very special responsibility.. We are=
 the ones who give the ever new generation of pianists their=
 experience of what a piano can be. To the extent we succeed in=
 giving them instruments to practice and perform on that are=
 responsive, that have all kinds of subtlety possible by virtue=
 of regulation and voicing, we will have helped educate not only=
 them but their students. We will raise their expectations, so=
 when they go somewhere else they will know what is possible and=
 will demand it. Which is why I give a great deal of emphasis (as=
 much as my limited time allows) to keeping the piano major=
 practice grands in as close to performance shape as I can, along=
 with piano faculty and the concert instruments. The rest of the=
 inventory can be average.
    If I don=92t provide pianos that have had a good una corda=
 voicing, as one example, the piano students who play them won=92t=
 learn what the possibilities are, and they will be unaware of=
 being unaware.
    Nuff of that <g>

Regards,
Fred Sturm