[CAUT] Breaking strings/Una Chorda pedaling

Israel Stein custos3@comcast.net
Wed, 30 Mar 2005 20:34:37 -0800

At 07:03 AM 3/30/2005,wimblees@aol.com wrote:

>There seems to be a difference between a heavy hitter and a hard hitter. A
>heavy hitter just plays loud, using the sustain pedal to keep time, almost
>never letting it up long enough for the strings to settle down. A string
>will break when it is hit repeatedly. The wire will soften, and then break
>when the hammer hits it again when the string is at it most stretched
>position.
>
>A hard hitter attacks the keys. I have observed players like that. They
>are not necessarily playing loud, but the manner in which they hit the key
>is different. I can't explain what they do, I just know that those players
>break strings.

I don't remember where I read this, but someone who studied the motion of
pianists found that if a pianist's hand is still accelerating when it hits
the key, string breakage results more frequently. I guess you can call this
"attacking the key..."

Israel Stein