[CAUT] Bach's Temperament recent article in Early Music

Ed Sutton ed440@mindspring.com
Thu, 31 Mar 2005 15:11:42 -0500

Who is the author?
Kellner wrote a nice little book on this topic a few years ago, and his proposed temperament is very nice.
Ed S.

----- Original Message -----
From: Richard Adkins
To: caut@ptg.org
Sent: 3/31/2005 2:29:08 PM
Subject: [CAUT] Bach's Temperament recent article in Early Music

For you HT people out there, there is an article in the latest
"Early Music" magazine Febr 2005 about the discovery of the
secret to Bach's temperament publiched on the title page
of his WTC in kind of a spiral code. They think they have
deceifered this code, and present the temperament now
for us to work with.

Article description: Consideration of Bach's aversion to computation in numbers and theoretical speculation in words; Provision of a set of tempering instructions for harpsichords, clavichords or organs in Bach's "Das wohltemperirte Clavier"; Exploration of tonalities.

I have not seen any comment on this...will google abou it to see if anyone is all abuzz with
euphoria.

They do present numbers for setting an ET up to set the temperament.

reconning from A rather than C

C(+0) C#(-4)D(+2) Eflat(+0) E(-2)F(+0) F#(-6) G(+4)G#(-2) A(=0) Bflat(+0) B(-4)

All octaves and unisons are pure (he says)....

Anyhow read the article, I'm just posting this as a tidbit...
have a go at it....I"m going to tune our harpshicord to this and see how it sounds.

Part II of the article will appear in the next "EARLY MUSIC" quarterly
issue.

Richard Adkins
Coe College