[CAUT] S&S D tenor dampers

David Ilvedson ilvey@sbcglobal.net
Mon, 2 May 2005 12:21:32 -0700

Couldn't you just replace that damper felt?   Seems to me your=
 spinning your wheels...

David I.

Original message
From: Cy Shuster <741662027@theshusters.org>
To: CAUT
Subject: [CAUT] S&S D tenor dampers

After a recent vigorous concert on an S&S D, a low tenor damper=
 was bleeding.  As it dropped onto the strings, it shifted to one=
 side.  The problem turned out to be that one side of the "W" had=
 folded over the string (see picture).  I straightened it out,=
 and then examined the situation from inside the action cavity=
 (second pic).  The extended "tail" of the wedge was shredded. =
 It still wasn't damping right, so I went to trim it to match its=
 neighbors.  The loose piece just pulled away in my fingers as I=
 tried to cut it.

I've never seen dampers extending below the strings so far, but I=
 suppose for low tenor on a D, that's what's necessary.  It looks=
 like the fix is to replace that damper felt, right?  (At least=
 the front half that was damaged).

It still rings a bit more than I'd like, but at least it drops=
 straight onto the strings.  A tiny amount of added finger=
 pressure does the trick.  I tried lowering the damper wire into=
 its support block a bit, but then the sostenuto tab is too high.=
  Are there any short-term fixes for tomorrow's concert?

Thanks...

--Cy Shuster--
Bluefield, WV