[CAUT] Storytone piano

Otto Keyes okeyes@uidaho.edu
Wed, 04 May 2005 11:00:48 -0700

My experience was with the scaled down home version -- probably an early =
50's vintage.  If it had a turntable in the bench...I merely sat on =
it...perhaps that was what was so uncomfortable.  I thought it was just =
the fact that the lousy piano gave me the fidgets.  This one had a =
soundboard -- well, not that sound -- and the bridges just as well have =
floated.  If it inspired the electric guitar....see?....I was right =
about modern technology foisting all sorts of marginally useful junk on =
us & our progeny!  In a few more years no one will even have the hearing =
acuity to perceive anything but the most bombastic passages of Liszt, so =
maybe he'll stick around after all.

Otto
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Christopher Purdy=20
  To: College and University Technicians=20
  Sent: Wednesday, May 04, 2005 9:49 AM
  Subject: Re: [CAUT] Storytone piano

  Michelle,

  I have found some more information if you're interested. The piano was =
built by Story & Clark and the electronics are RCA. It does not have a =
sound board, one thing I read said that it has "floating bridges", =
whatever that means. It has a pre-amp and amplifier in the piano and a =
turntable and receiver in the bench! There were external speakers.

  Everything I have read says that this was the first commercial attempt =
at an electric piano. One even said that it pre-dates and inspired the =
electric guitar. I believe it was exhibited at the worlds fair, 1939 I =
think. I also read that it supposedly weighs one and a half tons. I =
really doubt that it could weigh 3,000 lbs. though.

  I have a friend that is an antique dealer and he has a chance to buy =
one. I am going to see it on Saturday but I'm trying to learn a little =
bit about it before I go out there. My friend says that it has an =
extremely unusual case and is over the top art deco. The owner is =
wanting bids on it but I can't figure out what it might be worth.=20

  I would still appreciate any other input anybody might have about =
this.

  Chris