[CAUT] Nice sound can carry

Susan Kline skline@peak.org
Fri, 06 May 2005 12:38:32 -0700

At 11:49 AM 5/6/2005 +0000, Don wrote:

>Hi Susan,
>
>What I have observed is the piano being "whacked" so hard that unisons go
>out on a temporary basis. I checked them immediately *after* the
>performance--and they were out. The next day they were fine again.

Ah, the self-healing unisons. I really like those, too. I think that
moderate playing helps them joggle back into equality of tension between
the different wire segments.

But I have sometimes had the opposite experience. There I am at a concert
where the whole stage is shaking from the blows the piano is taking --
the tuning survives -- I'm filled with relief and glee -- there's another
concert the next week, and I think, "well the piano held okay, so this
shouldn't be too hard a tuning" and then when I get to the piano, the
tuning is all over the place. I have no idea how this can happen, but
I've met it a few times.

Susan