[CAUT] Steinway hammers with pre-voicing solution

Kent Swafford kswafford@earthlink.net
Thu, 12 May 2005 16:14:54 -0500

I inquired with Steinway a couple weeks ago about buying a set of
hammers with no "pre-voicing" solution added and they claimed they
sell only hammers that have been lacquered.

A few years ago I had a great success with putting hammers on a piano
and leaving them with no voicing solution of any kind. The particular
concert pianist involved is one of the few guys left, I think, who
likes mellow pianos. He really was thrilled.

Anyway, I did not pursue the matter with Steinway. Has anyone here
done so? The "pre-voicing" seems to me to be a fairly heavy
lacquering. Can lacquer-free hammers be had at all from Steinway?

(I ended up ordering Ronsens.)

Kent Swafford