[CAUT] Pitch drops on individual strings

Cy Shuster 741662027@theshusters.org
Sat, 21 May 2005 20:21:44 -0400

------=_NextPart_001_01BC_01C55E42.B4F402B0
I'm seeing some strange pitch drops in individual strings, and I can't =
figure out why.

First, the history.

This is a 1974 Yamaha C3, in pretty good shape, in the large band room =
of a community college, with central HVAC.  No D-C on the piano.  Three =
weeks ago, we moved it overnight to two different off-campus locations =
for the spring concert series (half an hour ride in a pickup truck each =
time -- yikes!  I covered it up, but still...).  It's had five tunings =
in the last month, and I've recorded humidity each time.  I use TuneLab =
Pro, and used the same stored tuning each time.

The series ended May 1, and I tuned it just before that concert.  It =
survived the concert sounding good; no slipped unisons.  It's been in =
the same spot for three weeks, uncovered, lid down.

Now, the mystery.

On Tuesday, they asked me to tune for a recording the next day, =
mentioning that a few unisons were out in the top two octaves.  I =
measured all the A's before I tuned (as is my habit).  A4 and below were =
right on, except A1 and A2 were up about two cents (humidity is rising). =
 A5 was up 3c, A6 down 6, A7 down 3.  I noticed that in many treble =
unisons, one or two strings would be way off: either a string would be =
right on, or off by a considerable amount (is it my string-settling =
technique?).  I also noticed that many strings would move a lot if I =
pounded on them, before touching the pin.  I worked hard on those top =
two sections of the plate, making sure every string was well settled, =
and wouldn't move.

Yesterday, they called me back to tune their other piano, and also =
mentioned that the top two octaves were out on the Yamaha again (!).  I =
checked it, and A2 and below were spot-on, as were A6 and above.  But in =
the middle three octaves, a dozen notes had one, two, or three strings =
off by two or three cents (A4 was down five cents!).  All but one were =
flat.  Again, either a string would be exactly in tune, or off by a lot. =
 I checked the pitch of every string before I began to tune, and =
chalk-marked the tuning pin of each string that was out (for next time). =
=20

They did mention that they turned off the A/C in the room for the =
recording (because of noise), and then fired it up full blast during =
breaks.

Here's the temp/humidity record (graph attached).  Humidity was lower in =
the two off-campus locations, and has climbed steadily upwards.

4/10: 72F, 42%
4/17: 68F, 32% (off-campus)
5/1:   68F, 39-41% (back home; last concert)
5/17: 72F, 44-48%RH.=20
5/20: 72F, 55%

By the way, the other piano didn't exhibit this symptom of individual =
strings falling, and others staying right on.  This is really the heart =
of the mystery to me.  My experience with pitch swings from humidity is =
that it affects strings evenly.  The other piano is a D in a different =
room, with similar humidity, also last tuned 5/1.  It was sharp a few =
cents evenly across the middle, dropping down to -10 in the top octave.  =

Maybe it is my tuning lever technique?  I usually finish a string by =
coming down to pitch, to make sure the pin has no residual torque; maybe =
I'm leaving some tension in the front string segment that settles back =
to the speaking length during play, or humidity changes?  In writing =
this history, I notice that the top two sections that I worked hard on =
Tuesday night were still fine; the problems I found yesterday were lower =
down.

The other possible suspect is loose bridge pins.  Earlier I had noticed =
a consistent drop around A6 on some strings, and found I could slightly =
move a few leading bridge pins with screwdriver pressure.  How this =
would lead to pitch drop, I'm not exactly sure...

--Cy Shuster--
Bluefield, WV

------=_NextPart_001_01BC_01C55E42.B4F402B0
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...