[CAUT] Pitch drops on individual strings

Ron Nossaman rnossaman@cox.net
Sat, 21 May 2005 22:45:43 -0500

> The other possible suspect is loose bridge pins.  Earlier I had noticed
> a consistent drop around A6 on some strings, and found I could slightly
> move a few leading bridge pins with screwdriver pressure.  How this
> would lead to pitch drop, I'm not exactly sure...
>
> --Cy Shuster--

I don't think that has much to do with it at all. I've noticed this
sort of thing with Yamahas for a long time now. Tuning these pianos,
I've found that a firm rap on the key will very often result in an
unusually dramatic pitch drop. Tuning in a more usually non-violent
manner that will usually suffice with other pianos, in my
experience, will leave the Yamaha in a less stable condition. There
seems to be an increased tendency for the string to render through
the bridge pins easily in these pianos, so you have to encourage the
tendency by whacking them at least once to force the issue.
Otherwise, the rendering will happen shortly after you've gone, and
will be putting up billboards as a public testament to your
inability to handle this "condition". I've followed a number of
otherwise quite competent tuners through the years, who failed to
whack the rendering/pitch drop thing appropriately, and left a piano
that went badly out of tune within the week. It ain't hammer
technique. It's what's happening at the bridge, and string segment
tensions.

Ron N