[CAUT] key sticks

Ken Zahringer ZahringerK@missouri.edu
Tue, 31 May 2005 13:31:34 -0500

Hey, Kent,

Just looking at your picture, the mortise looks like it's in the right
place.  At least, it looks like most of our Steinways.  I have to echo Ed's
comment - looks like the front rail is out pretty far.

We have one Steinway L here of about the same vintage as your B.  At some
point in the past the balance rail was replaced, changing from the
"accelerated" configuration (half dowels) to conventional punchings.  If
that was done to your piano, I would want to make sure it was done correctly
before I started changing the front mortises.

If it turns out that your problem is just misplaced front mortises, give me
a holler.  I've been playing around with that issue lately.  I may have some
interesting ideas for you.

Ken Z.
--
Ken Zahringer, RPT