[CAUT] hand and wrist position

Wimblees@aol.com Wimblees@aol.com
Tue, 8 Nov 2005 17:07:48 EST

This is more or less related to the recent discussion about our hands and
wrists. We had a chapter meeting on Saturday at a Chiropractor's office. He's
been helping one of our members with aches and pains.

When tuning an upright, right handed, he told me that the best position to
tune is to sit at a 45 degree angle to the piano, which is what I've been
doing,  but to hold my lever so that my hands are with the knuckles towards  the
pins. I was taught to hold the lever with my hand outstretched, with the  thumb
pointing down to the head, and my little finger at the top of the lever.

I haven't had the chance to tune an upright yet, but do any of  you hold the
lever the way the Chiropractor suggests?

As far as a grand is concerned, we should hold the lever at then end, with  a
ball. I've not been doing this either, but I know a lot of you are. I'll get
one, if there is one for sale, at the NCRC this weekend.

Wim