[CAUT] upright action

Fred Sturm fssturm@unm.edu
Sun, 27 Nov 2005 21:52:31 -0700

On 11/26/05 8:10 PM, "Susan Kline" <skline@peak.org> wrote:

> At 04:48 PM 11/25/2005 -0700, Fred wrote:
>> For traveling, though, my own
>> preference is for strips of sticky, pre-gummed material like address labels
>> or self-stick stamps. Faster, more convenient to my mind. Some don't like it
>> for one reason or another. I've never had a problem, after using it for well
>> over ten years.
>
> Hi, Fred
>
> I did have a problem with what looked like that material, when I had to
> take wippens off a fairly new Samick grand for repinning. This gum got
> old awfully fast, and when I removed a part the paper liked to fall off.
> I had to watch like a hawk, and glue it back when I could figure out
> where it came from. Still some travelling to do when reinstalling.
> The mucilage on the old package tape doesn't seem to fail over time.
>
> Susan Kline

Hi Susan,
    I'm sure there are some products with bad adhesive backing. I've seen
some myself. I have never had a problem with one I put on myself, and I
follow myself a lot. I know those sticky service records I used for maybe a
couple years when I first started (25 years ago) don't let go - can't get
them off for anything <g>.
    I've had plenty of bad experiences with travel paper not stuck to the
flange, including the brown mucilage backed stuff, not to mention un-gummed
sandpaper and, worst, masking tape. I think you can tell if you have sticky
backed paper of good quality or not, but I wouldn't want to try to explain
how. Anyhow, it works for me. No intent to proselytize, just sharing
personal experience.
Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico