[CAUT] Back length tuning

ed440@mindspring.com ed440@mindspring.com
Tue, 29 Nov 2005 11:53:54 -0500 (GMT-05:00)

Richard-

I watched a fellow who had been trained by Fazioli.

To raise the pitch of the back section, he tuned the speaking section sharp until the back section raised pitch, returned the speaking length to pitch, then tuned the back section by pushing lightly with a wire settling wheel to lower it, then retuned the speaking section.  The complete tuning took about 3 hours.  He said you would only need to do this every year or two.

He was about to retire due to hearing loss, so my job was to listen to the back sections and tell him if they were in tune!  He was going for perfect aliquots of the speaking length; it's obvious which one will work on each string.

He also had a tool to move the little tuning bars, but didn't use it.

It definately produced a clearer, brighter sound, most noticeable when playing individual treble notes.  I am not convinced the owner could hear the difference.

Ed Sutton

-----Original Message-----
From: Ric Brekne <ricbrek@broadpark.no>
Sent: Nov 29, 2005 2:44 AM
To: caut@ptg.org, pianotech <pianotech@ptg.org>
Subject: [CAUT] Back length tuning

Hi folks

I would really appreciate hearing a bit about varying methods of
<<tuning>> the back scale of instruments.  Anyone with knowledge of
Duplex Dans methods, other  approaches, basic tuning methods that
perhaps address the back scale in anyway would be very nice to hear from.

My basic understanding at present leads me to believe that the front
duplex can be tuned to the detriment or enhancement of both sustain and
tonal qualities if tuned slightly out of tune with the speaking lengths
and that this applies to a much lesser degree to backlengths.

 Any discussion, info, etc would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
RicB