[CAUT] Baldwin Desks - follow up

Conrad Hoffsommer hoffsoco@luther.edu
Fri, 07 Oct 2005 11:03:02 -0500

At 09:31 AM 10/4/2005 -0400, you wrote:
>Conrad,
>
>When those pins break off, I will usually punch the remainder out and
>put a 2" brass screw through the hole and into the desk part. I've found
>some here that had a short 16 penny masonry nail driven through the hole
>and into the desk. The nail is hard and has flutes on it which dig into
>the brass hole and keeps it from rotating out.
>
>Eric
>
>Eric Wolfley, RPT
>Supervising Piano Technician
>College-Conservatory of Music
>University of Cincinnati

Well... Things is different when you gets deep into 'em...

The C and E model music desks which were broken are now back in place and
functional.

The splintering wood got clamped together, and I found one piece which had
completely separated.  The broken pin got replaced by a short section of
unused Dampp-Chaser grand hanging rod which I sunk into the wood part.

I thought that the brass tubes had gone missing, so I bored out big enough
to put in plate bushings, inserted the D/C rod with enough yellow Elmers to
squeeze out and fill in the gap. Of course, after I'd done this, I found
the tube hiding in the action...

Conrad Hoffsommer - Keyboard Technician
1-(563)-387-1204 // Fax 1-(563)-387-1076

- Right now, I'm hoping to live until my age matches my golf score,
- Until then, I'll have to be content to have my IQ match my handicap.