[CAUT] low friction bearings

Stephen Birkett sbirkett@real.uwaterloo.ca
Tue, 11 Oct 2005 13:53:32 -0400

David:
>The reason, at present, we have different string lengths is
>spreading the hitchpins out on the plate, rather than in a
>line...for the plates sake...

There's also the staggering of the tuning pin rows. So two
backlengths have to be the same, but all front lengths are different
(in a normal design). Imaginary hypothetical pianos are subject only
to the laws of physics, though, and assumed immune from all practical
difficulties ;-)

Stephen
--
Dr Stephen Birkett