[CAUT] lack of support

Jim Busby jim_busby@byu.edu
Thu, 20 Oct 2005 10:49:59 -0600

Hi Conrad,

I consider all pianos "mine" as well. What I was referring to is I don't
go to many recitals where a piano isn't used. Here at BYU if I went to
all recitals that's all I'd be doing! We've had upwards of 20 recitals a
week at times. We all have to prioritize. Mine are usually:
1. Concert pianists or faculty piano recitals (pretty much required
attendance) and people I know well or where piano is prominent, etc.
2. Piano majors and "other" music faculty (As many as possible)
3. Other students and groups (when I feel like it)
4. When I know someone is lousy (I usually have something else to do,
like take out the trash, bath my dog, etc. :)

Cheers,
Jim Busby

-----Original Message-----
From: caut-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:caut-bounces@ptg.org] On Behalf Of
Conrad Hoffsommer
Sent: Thursday, October 20, 2005 10:24 AM
To: College and University Technicians
Subject: RE: [CAUT] lack of support

At 09:49 AM 10/20/2005 -0600, you wrote:
>Wim,
>
>Just a thought - Do you attend many of their concerts? All of us should
go
>to as many faculty recitals as we can and make our presence known. Call
it
>brown nosing if you want, but when a faculty member gives a recital I
let
>them see me "hovering" around the piano as if their recital was the
most
>important event of the semester. From then on when I see them in the
hall
>they thank me for the work I did. Actually, I didn't do that much extra

>work, I just made sure they knew I was there for them. It greases the
>wheel enormously and they become friends. And frankly, I think that's
how
>we should all treat each other. One big problem though, by making these

>friends I got my foot caught in the door... I don't want to leave BYU
and my
>friends.
>
>Regards,
>Jim Busby BYU
>
>p.s. I don't really like going to all the recitals, but I do try to go
>faculty recitals when my pianos are involved. Afterwards, I'm almost
>always glad I went.
>

>----------

Jim,

Here, ANY piano used is one of "mine".

When I first got here, I used to go to a bunch of, even student,
recitals.  Then, I wanted to get a life off-campus.  They know that if
they
have a Wednesday evening recital, _I_ will not be there because of bell
choir rehearsal. (Trumpet prof is director, so they know I'm not making
it
up...)

If I got 4-5 months off a year, I might be more inclined to spend more
time
here while school is in session. As it is, I am like many of the faculty

and only go to recitals in my "area".  That means I go to most of the
faculty piano, organ and harpsichord recitals, and precious little else.

That doesn't mean I don't maintain a comforting visibility when
preparing
for other recitals, they just know I won't be there at showtime.

Conrad Hoffsommer
I tried to get a life once, but they were all out of stock.