[CAUT] John Cage, "The Earth Shall Bear Again"

Fred Sturm fssturm@unm.edu
Thu, 20 Oct 2005 12:04:27 -0600

Picking up this broken thread, I just came across the information
that Cage composed at a Steinway model O. This is particularly useful
information when deciphering his more detailed preparation
instructions: there are a few pieces where he specifies distance from
dampers or bridge within 1/16". (OTOH, there are many pieces where he
is very vague about where along the string length to place the
prescribed object). Obviously, the precise instructions should be
modified when using a different size piano. If, as is likely, an O
isn't available, L or A would be good substitutes (or 6' + or - in
other makes).
Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico