[CAUT] RX-6 Tapered Damper Timing

Andrew Anderson andrew@andersonmusic.com
Wed, 26 Oct 2005 19:36:59 -0500

I was called in to review a piano for one of the local school districts.

It was a fairly new Kawai RX-6 in nice condition, kept in humid
conditions without a climate control system.  They wanted to know
what shape it is in and what if any work might be needed.

Noted some minor hammer and damper alignment issues.  The hammer line
was also a little uneven, probably humidity setting in.  What was
interesting is that the low tenor had damper timing at 1/2 hammer
travel and by the time I got to C5 it was circa 1/4 hammer
travel.  Armed with this information I tried playing it again and
concluded that it might feel a little heavier than necessary in the
treble, mind you, I hadn't noticed it earlier.  Is this SOP for Kawai?

Another issue was the piano had been put on a truck (stage
piano).  The lyre is very close to the floor.  The pedals just-about
bottom-out on the floor.  This is an uncomfortable leverage position
for the foot and their pianist had complained.  They wanted me to
shorten the lyre. ;-)   I suggested adding to the legs.  Question is,
are piano trucks usually adjustable?

Andrew Anderson
for UISD, LCC, TAMIU