[CAUT] Econ Article

Conrad Hoffsommer hoffsoco@luther.edu
Mon, 31 Oct 2005 14:59:06 -0600

JeffT,

At 14:09 10/31/2005, you wrote:

>On Oct 31, 2005, at 2:58 PM, Conrad Hoffsommer wrote:
>
>>Benefits!  ...health care/retirement/
>
>These are NOT free at most places - merely reduced, and are very different
>from employer to employer.

Very true, and these permutations should be addressed in any article which
purports to enlighten any hopeful job applicant.

>   Does the value of the benefits pay for the loss of income?

YMMV, I suppose.  25 years ago I took what looked like a 25% pay cut from
my estimated.

>>reduced vehicle mileage, etc.

Me very lucky living so close to campus that I can easily walk. ;-}

>Reduced mileage, but absolutely NO income tax deduction either.  That 48
>cents a mile would come in handy for commuters too.

It kicks in completely for "moonlighting". If you do a tuning on your way
home, at least _that_ part of the commute is covered.

Conrad Hoffsommer

Early to rise: early to bed;
Makes a man healthy, and socially dead.