[CAUT] Steinway Technical

Jeff Tanner jtanner at mozart.sc.edu
Thu Aug 3 12:52:41 MDT 2006

On Aug 3, 2006, at 1:45 PM, Thomas Seay wrote:

> Hi Jeff,
>
> I'm not sure. What you can do is to take a new pin, polish it with
> Flitz and check it with a clean towel or rag and naptha. My guess
> is that you'll find the residue on it.
>
> I've never had a problem using McLube on anything (except for the
> somewhat noxious odor) and I find that it does make a considerable
> difference when you're removing excess friction.
>
> Your mileage may vary.

Well, I don't use it and never have.  I've always just been leery of
it, because every lubricant I've ever used that goes on wet,
eventually gets tacky with age, and I believe I've heard other
technicians testify that they've had similar results using wet
lubricants like McLube and Protek on pins.  (Protek even leaves a
tacky residue in the applicator bottle)  I just clean and buff the
pins with a soft cloth and apply teflon powder to the bushings,
avoiding the possibility.

There's not really a lot of time for much of that kind of work around
here, though.

Jeff

Jeff Tanner, RPT
University of South Carolina