[CAUT] Interesting Story and Clark

Alan Crane alan.crane at wichita.edu
Thu Aug 17 08:41:08 MDT 2006

At 12:00 AM 8/17/06, Rob & Helen Goodale wrote:
>Anyone else ever come across a left shifting action?

Hi Rob,

The old Steinway model C ( 7' 6") shifted to the left;  I think they
stopped producing them in the USA in 1913 but I believe Hamburg has
been producing them all along (don't know which way the Hamburg Cs shift).

Also, sitting in my shop right now, I have a 4' 9", 1923, Premier
grand which shifts to the left.  Its really small with bass-sustain
instead of a sostenuto and I'd call it cheap except that the
materials and the workmanship seem to be pretty good!  I guess I'd
describe it as "no frills."
I have no idea why they designed it to shift left instead of right
... unless its an early "grey-market" piano meant to be sold in the
southern-hemisphere ...           :)

Regards,

Alan B. Crane,  RPT
School of Music