[CAUT] caut Digest, Vol 1088, Issue 38

Paul T Williams pwilliams4 at unlnotes.unl.edu
Wed Aug 30 07:03:08 MDT 2006

Hi List,

I am fairly new as a CAUT (o.k. I'm greener than green!)  I have a
questionfor you:  In my private practice days, I would install bass
strings as soon as I received them.  Now, a dear patron of our music dept
has donated a potentially beautiful Steinway L (cir 1932), and when
de-stringing I discovered it desperately needs a new pinblock.  I had
already received the parts and bass strings needed for the restoration.
Since my shop is not equipped for "open heart surgery" like pinblock
installation, I will be having a rebuilder off campus complete this
proceedure and I will do the rest.  The question: Do I leave the bass
strings coiled up in the box, or should I let them hang straight with the
wrapping left on them?  It may be a couple of months until the first stage
is completed.

Thanks for your response.

Paul T. Williams RPT
University of Nebraska-Lincoln